Yield: Two, 16-oz grown-up smoothies and one, 5-oz toddler smoothie
3 ounces (4 BIG handfuls) baby spinach and/or Swiss chard leaves
1 large banana (preferably frozen)
1 large peeled orange (or 3-4 clementines or 1 peeled grapefruit)
1 small apple, core removed, roughly chopped (I keep a big bag of apple and pear chunks in the freezer)
1 cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
1 thumb-size piece fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
½ cup unsweetened milk (I use rice for the lactose intolerant hubs, but nonfat cow’s milk is fine)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons ground flax seed (optional)
1. Place all ingredients in a good quality blender (love my variable speed Vitamix).
2. Drink soon or pour into airtight glass or plastic container and refrigerate up to two days.
Substitutions I make on the regular
1. Frozen mango in place of apple.
2. Grapes in place of apple.
3. Pineapple for apple and coconut milk for milk – (HELLO BREAKFAST PINA COLADA).
4. Added ice cubes if banana and fruit are not frozen, just to help keep it cold.
5. 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon.
6. Apple cider for milk in the fall.
Are you a smoothie person? What are your fave ingredients? Share in the comments and don’t forget to follow me on Instagram for more adventures in food and family.